Friday 17 February 2012

Bandai Tokima Digorobo - 1983 red version

My blog is now starting it's second month, so I thought it was time for the first of my Bandai Tokima Digorobo watches.

The Tokima line is a collection of transforming robot watches first released in 1983 (-a larger metal version was released in 1998 - more on that in future posts). This watch is a red 1983 version with a red vinyl strap. The watch originated from the Japanese toy manufacturer Popy (founded in 1971 and known for it's robot toys) , which merged with it's parent company Bandai in March 1983. This original watch only mentions Popy on the back of the watch base, and Bandai on the watch itself. The Tokima Digorobo was copyrighted in 1983 by the Popy Kikakushitsu (or Kikaku) Company Ltd (aka Ginza Kikaku, or G.K. as shown on the back of the watch).

The watch is released from the base with two metal buttons on either side, and pulling out the legs releases the arms and completes the transformation to robot mode. To convert it back, you need to remember to put the legs in first, or the arms won't stay in!

The watch module is a basic LCD with time, date, and seconds display. These watches are probably my favorite sub-collection, and at the moment, I think I have every version that has been released - so expect many more of these to feature in coming posts! More can be found on the Tokima watch range in my overview page: link




7 comments:

  1. I like this! Do you have the aquaboy too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love these watches and actually have 6 different colour variations. I do have the aquaboy (3 colours), and also the Alarm Tokima (3 colours). I'll be featuring them all in future posts, so stay tuned.

      Delete
  2. I just purchased a 1983 Digirobo in silver...can anyone help me figure out how to replace the battery?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need to have the arms of the robot out to get into the watch (but leave the head closed). Look through the two small holes on the back (which normally show where the robots arms hide in watch mode). Now that the arms are out of the way, you should be able to see two small screws which open up the watch and reveal the quartz module and you will see the battery (you may need to remove a metal panel by another small screw). While you do this, make sure the head is held in place as it is held with a spring which is difficult to put back in place if it pops out.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! I have a red Digirobo watch I'm about to sell on ebay, and I came upon your blog doing research. Very cool watch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What size watch band (mm) fits the 1983 Tokima Digirobo?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mention that GK means Ginza Kikaku, this is something I've been wondering about for a while (what's this GK sticker that can be found on many Popy toys ??). Would you be so kind as to sharing your sources for this GK meaning ? I've read somewhere that it could mean Ginza Kaisha, but I don't find any reliable source about it. It would be very nice to have that info !

    Thanks a lot for your help !

    ReplyDelete